About URL Rewrite Generator Tool
The free online URL rewriting tool quickly turns a long dynamic URL into a static URL with a single click. It will also create the .htaccess file code to rewrite URLs for the websites hosted on an Apache Server.
Want to make your URLs more SEO and user-friendly?
The first method that the website owners, web admins, and SEO experts adopt is to convert their website's long dynamic URLs to static URLs.
Because the shorter or static URLs are user-friendly and easy to remember. You can also bookmark those when needed.
It also helps to improve SEO ranking by optimizing SERPs.
Today, SEO is not the same, a decade ago. Search engines continuously work on their algorithm to filter the most relevant and SEO-friendly results for their users.
After designing a website, the subsequent step is to make your website ready for search engine optimization, and it takes a lot of hard work and effort. You cannot even ignore a small SEO ranking factor, like URL type, that significantly impacts your ranking and traffic.
Therefore, if you are still using the long dynamic URLs, you must shift to the user and SEO-friendly, static, or shorter URL structure.
Static versus dynamic URLs
Search engines and users do not love the dynamic URLs because they do not tell you much about the landing page's content.
There are several reasons why SEO-friendly URLs perform better than dynamic URLs, and why do you need to write the URL?
A couple of them are
- Dynamic URLs are not always there. They are generated when the user performs some action like fill the form and submit it or perform a search using a website search bar. These pages are non-existence for the search engines because the web is indexed by crawling it, not by filling the form.
- Even though if a dynamic URL is generated on the user request and saved on the server. The search engines try to skip it because it includes many question marks or other special characters or symbols.
- Dynamic URLs lead to duplicate content because the same content is available under different URLs. Therefore, canonical tags are used to overcome that issue.
- Dynamic URLs tend to have a poor click-through rate on search result pages. They usually do not have keywords inserted in the URLs, and it is highly recommended to have keywords rich URLs.
- Dynamic URLs are longer than static URLs. From the SEO perspective, it is pretty clear that shorter URLs perform better than longer URLs.
In the past, search engines did not index dynamic URLs. Even today, they index the dynamic URLs, but that process is relatively slow compared to static URLs.
Therefore, today static URLs are preferred over dynamic URLs because of the following reasons.
- Usually, static URLs rank better in search engines than dynamic URLs.
- Static URLs are always SEO-friendly.
- Static URLs are still more familiar to the end-users, easy to remember, and easy to bookmark.
- The search engines index the content of the dynamic URLs relatively slower than the static URLs.
- Static URLs are easy to communicate by voice and share than dynamic URLs.
An example of a dynamic URL is
If you convert the dynamic URL into a static URL, it will look like this.
From the above URLs example, you can easily understand
- A simple URL structure helps search engines distinguish the folder names and link them to the actual keywords.
- The dynamic URLs contain the query string that may constrain the search engine to index the URL.
- SEOs prefer to use static URLs over dynamic URLs because they are more attractive to search engine crawlers and get better rank and traffic.
- If you are running an e-commerce website, it will be possible that more people will notice your web pages on search engines which could lead to getting more traffic and probably conversions.
How to use the URL rewriting tool for getting SEO and user-friendly URLs?
Database-driven websites are great, but it would be much better to serve your webpages that are easy to handle for the search engines and end-users.
One solution to dynamic URLs is to rewrite the URLs, and you can achieve this by performing the following steps.
- Open the URL Rewriting Tool.
- Enter the dynamic URL on the space provided, and click on the "Rewrite URL" button.
- The system will process your request and will give you a shorter and static URL. The tool can rewrite both single pages and directories.
- URL rewriting of this type will only work if you are hosted with an Apache server. It comes with its built-in URL rewriting module, Apache Mod Rewrite Rule.
- You will need to design a file called ".htaccess" and paste the code generated into it. Once you have completed the .htacess file, copy it into your web directory.